Waifs’ Day Out
Waifs’ Day Out is Wayside Waifs’ field trip program that gives shelter dogs the opportunity to exercise, socialize, and meet potential adopters while gathering information along the way. With your help, we can provide homeless dogs in our care the opportunity to get out of the shelter and go on field trips! These outings reduce stress for dogs in kennels and increase their visibility in the community. This is a great opportunity for individuals who can’t volunteer regularly, but still want to make a difference in the life of a shelter pet.
Want to get involved?
Steps to becoming a Waifs’ Day Out Volunteer:
- Watch the training video
- Complete the application
- Next we’ll reach out to discuss scheduling and what to expect for your first visit.
- Head out on your first field trip. For your first field trip, please arrive at least 20 minutes before pick-up to complete paperwork and a brief orientation.
- HAVE FUN while making a difference in the lives of animals and people we serve!
- Field trip volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
- Each outing requires that there is at least one official field trip volunteer. Field trip volunteers are those who have completed the application, completed training, and signed our field trip volunteer agreement.
- Guests are welcome. The age requirement for guests is 8 years or older. Liability waiver must be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Only official field trip volunteers are permitted to hold the leash and are required to be with the dog and guests at all times.
- Only one shelter dog will be assigned to each group.
- You must provide a copy of your valid driver’s license.
Field trips take place Saturday and Sunday mornings, and throughout the the day on Mondays. Times may vary throughout the year.
Most field trips fall into one of three categories:
- Outdoor adventures – including parks and trails
- Around the town – sightseeing in public areas, dog friendly stores, and dining
- Car rides – some dogs need a calmer outing, or on the days when the weather doesn’t cooperate consider a car ride! You can drive through parks, cruise by monuments, or swing by a drive-through for a human and pup treat.
If you have additional questions, please contact us!
ADOPTION HOURS: Monday:Closed
Tuesday - Friday: 11am-7pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10am-5pm
3901 Martha Truman Road, Kansas City, MO 64137