Everyone at Wayside Waifs understands the difficulty surrounding pet bereavement. We know that you have given so much in order to care for and love your pet – and that you’d do it all over again, without question. You’ve devoted yourself to caring for your pet; now it’s time to care for yourself.
Wayside wants to be by your side during this difficult time. Our Pet Loss Support Program was created to do just that for those who are grieving the loss of their pet. It provides an environment where feelings of grief are validated and emotions can be shared without concerns of being misunderstood by anyone.
Wayside’s Pet Loss Support Group will meet at Wayside Waifs (3901 Martha Truman Road, KC MO, 64137) on the first Wednesday of every month from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. The discussions can include any stories and topics surrounding the life you shared with your pet before their passing. The group will support you and listen to your grief.
The meetings are free to attend but general donations are appreciated. There’s no need to RSVP – please stop by if you’d like to be involved. Don’t forget to bring a picture of your beloved pet to share with everyone. Keep in mind this is not to be considered therapy, but rather is a support group to discuss your loss and grief with peers.
Meet the Group Facilitator
The Facilitator of the Pet Loss Support Group is Andrew Sherwood, LMSW, Ph.D, Jungian Analyst. Read more about him here.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us.
* At this time, the Pet Loss Support Group is open to adults – 21 years and older – due to the content for discussions about a pet’s passing. It is appropriate for those who have recently lost a pet, are still mourning an old loss, are anticipating the death of a pet, or are preparing for euthanasia.
** Please watch Wayside Waifs’ social media for any potential shelter closings due to weather, etc.
Reading Materials for Adults
- The Grief Recovery Handbook for Pet Loss, by Russell Friedman, Cole James, and John W. James, Taylor Trade Publishing, 2014
- Grieving the Death of a Pet, By Dr. Betty Carmack, R.N., Ed.D., Augsburg Publishers 2003
- Saying Good-bye to the Pet Your Love, Lorri Greene, PhD and Jacquelyn Landis, New Harbinger Publications, 2002
- Coping With Sorrow On The Loss of Your Pet, By Moira Anderson, M.Ed, Alpine Blue Ribbon Books, 1996
Reading Material for Children
- Remembering My Pet: A Kid’s Own Spiritual Workbook for When a Pet Dies, Nechama Liss-Levinson, PhD and Rev. Molly Phinney Baskett, Skylight Paths Publishing, 2007
- Helping Children to Cope with Separation & Loss, By Claudia Jewitt, Harvard Common, 1992
- Oh Where Has My Pet Gone?: A Pet Loss Memory Book, Ages 3-103, By Sally Sibbitt, B. Libby Press, 1991
- When A Pet Dies, By Fred Rogers, G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 1988
ADOPTION HOURS: Monday: Closed
Tuesday - Friday: 11am-7pm
Saturday - Sunday: 10am-5pm
3901 Martha Truman Road, Kansas City, MO 64137