The Courtesy Comfort Station
The Courtesy Comfort Station – a one-of-a-kind amenity added to the Bark Park 2016 – was funded 100% by The Harold and Marilyn Melcher Foundation. The vision for the Courtesy Comfort Station was to create a unique, friendly, and comfortable space for Bark Park patrons as well as Wayside Waifs volunteers to walk and socialize dogs on campus. Take a 360 tour of the Courtesy Comfort Station.
It’s a Dogs Life
In 2003, Wayside was thrilled to open the 5-acre Wayside Waifs Bark Park, given and dedicated by the Harold and Marilyn Melcher family. And what a great park it is for an off-leash romp with your canine friends! We hope you and your dog find the park to be a great outlet for fun, socialization, and bonding. Our goal is to create the safest dog park in the metropolitan area.
Features of the Park
- Five acres of fenced-in grass-covered off-leash fun
- Separate enclosed area for small dogs
- Trees and shaded areas
- Covered pavilions and park benches
- “Time-out Kennels” for dogs who may become overly excited or exhausted by their play. The kennels are also handy if you bring two dogs and want to “park” one while doing training work with the other.
- Watering stations located throughout the park
- Lots of open space for those Frisbee addicts
- Ample lighted parking near the park entrance
- Membership fees directly support Wayside Waifs’ homeless pets
Features of the Courtesy Comfort Station
- Main entry doors are accessible by key card 24 hours a day; 7 days a week; 365 days a year
- Double-gated entry
- A heated and air conditioned space for you to warm up or cool off during your visit
- A men’s and women’s temperature controlled restroom (with tie down hooks for your dog’s leash)
- A soft drink machine and water fountain
- Indoor benches to sit down and relax
- An outdoor patio area with tables and seating (fenced in so your dog can also be off-leash)
- A Paw Wash area for dirty paws
- Lights to illuminate the area after dark
The Bark Park is open for members only and requires a card for entry. This further guarantees the security of the Bark Park, and all proceeds go to support Wayside’s shelter operations.
Annual Membership $120
Six Month Membership $75
Daily Membership $5
Get Started Today
Bark Park Rules
There are some inherent risks of personal injury, property damage, and even death associated with visiting an off-leash dog park.
As a member of the Bark Park, you agree to abide by the following rules:
- Only members of the park and their guests may use the park. Members must accompany guests at all times.
- Dogs must wear a collar with proper I.D. and a license at all times.
- Children under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Parents and guardians are responsible for the safety of their children.
- Limit of 2 dogs per adult visitor.
- Smoking and firearms are prohibited.
- The large dog park is for dogs 30 pounds and up. All dogs under 30 pounds must use the small dog park.
- Dogs with a history of aggression toward people or other dogs my NOT use the dog park. If you don’t know how your dog will interact with other dogs, please do not bring him/ber to the dog park.
- Dogs with a history of aggression, those who have injured other animals, or are know to initiate fights are prohibited.
- Should your dog be reported as showing aggressive behaviors or causing harm to another dog, your dog park priveleges will be suspended.
- Dogs must be leashed from the owner’s vehicle to the park, and upon leaving the park. However, please unleash your dog once inside the safety entrance gate and before proceeding through the main gate leading into the park.
- Unaltered (not spayed or neutered) dogs are not allowed in the park.
- Pinch, choke and prong collars are not allowed.
- Leaving dogs unattended is prohibited.
- Owners must maintain verbal and physical control of their dogs at all times.
- Do not bring human food into the park, including alcoholic beverages. Rawhide bones, treats, smoking and glass containers are also prohibited.
- State law requires all dogs must be currently vaccinated for rabies and Bark Park rules require vaccination for Distemper/Parvo (DHPP, DA2PP or DHLPP) and suggest Bordetella.
- Puppies under five months of age are not allowed.
- Owners must clean up after their dogs. Plastic bags are provided for the disposal of waste.
- All members and human guests must foster a safe and courteous park environment by being respectful and polite to everyone.
Failure to abide by the park rules may result in the loss of privileges, or owners may be ticketed by Animal Control.
ADOPTION HOURS: Monday:Closed
Tuesday - Friday: 11am-7pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10am-5pm
3901 Martha Truman Road, Kansas City, MO 64137