Become a Volunteer
Thank you for thinking of Wayside Waifs as the place to donate your time. The success of our Volunteer Program is not only achieved through time given by our remarkable volunteers, but by the selfless acts they contribute to make life better for homeless companion animals. Check out the current list of volunteer opportunities during COVID-19 and how to get started by clicking below.
- Must have an interest in helping animals become successful pets.
- Teens must be at least 16 years old to volunteer alone.
- If you are an adult, interested in volunteering with your teen 13-15, click on the Get Started button above.
- A mature, respectful attitude is required.
- All volunteers should be comfortable and competent to make quick decisions in stressful situations.
- An active email address is required.
- All volunteers should be able to safely and independently perform all role requirements in training.
- Volunteers must sign up for a minimum of 3 months of weekly shifts.
- Criminal record should be clear of felonies – all other convictions are reviewed on an individual basis.
- For work related to a ticket, court ordered community service, diversion, or any other legal related service hours, please contact 816-761-8151. These hours are processed differently at our shelter, and cannot be completed through the general volunteer program.
After completing one month of volunteering, additional positions become available! Although these needs are constistently changing and being updated, the following descriptions are common roles at the shelter. Positions include:
- Vet Clinic Support
- Follow-up Caller
- Meet & Greet Specialist (Dogs & Cats)
- Confidence College & Peace Academy
- Whiskers and Wags Retail Boutique
- Tour Guides
- Humane Education Instructors
Studies show there is a strong relationship between a child’s awareness of the proper way to treat animals and that child’s ability as an adult to relate humanely not only to animals, but to society as a whole. The Wayside Waifs Humane Education Program incorporates the expertise of professional educators, psychologists, and animal behaviorists. If you are interested in joining Wayside’s Humane Education Team, please fill out an volunteer inquiry form.
Foster Care Program
Our Foster Care program is designed to provide both flexibility and compatibility for the animals in need and the caregiving families. We provide the individual foster parent training, pet care supplies, complete veterinary care, behavioral and training plans, and pet care counseling to all participants. Our foster parents do not all start with experience, just a willingness to love and learn.
Tues. - Fri.: 11am - 7pm
Sat. & Sun.: 10am - 5pm
3901 Martha Truman Road, KC, MO 64137