Wayside Waifs has the largest selection of adoptable pets in the Kansas City area. Our professional Adoption Center staff will help you find the best new companion to fit your lifestyle and needs.
The adoption process can take between 30 to 90 minutes, depending on the number of guests we are serving. Due to this time commitment, we are unable to start animal introductions, adoption holds, or adoptions 30 minutes prior to close. We look forward to providing you with very personal attention as you embark upon the exciting adventure of becoming a new pet parent!
Tuesday – Friday: 11am-7pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10am-5pm
Step 1: Learn About the Shelter Animals
Read stories, watch videos, and see photos of the animals who are ready for adoption.
Step 2: Matchmaking
A team member will assist you in the selection of the perfect pet. We will have you fill out an adoption survey, review the life and medical history of the pet you are interested in adopting, and together we will make sure the fit is perfect for both your family and pet before spending some time with the pet.
Step 3: Finalizing the Adoption
- Adopter must be 18 years or older to adopt, and at the time of adoption must present a photo ID.
- You will be able to take the pet home immediately as long as he/she is medically ready to go home (completed all age appropriate vaccinations and spay/neuter surgery) and you are prepared to leave with your new friend.
- Holds can be placed for a $30 non-refundable fee in addition to the adoption fee. They are good until the close of business the next day and animals must be met in person before a hold can be placed. If you do not complete the adoption during this time, the animal will become available for adoption to other shelter guests.
- We recommend that all members of the household meet the pet chosen for adoption to ensure that the new pet is compatible with everyone.
- For some pets, we may recommend an introduction with your resident animal to ensure that they will get along. Arrangements for a “dog meeting” will be made during the matchmaking process.
- Some pets may require a post-adoption consultation or training session to ensure the pet is adjusting well to his/her new home.
- All dog and puppies must leave the shelter with an appropriate leash and collar (affordable leashes and collars can be purchased in our store, Whiskers & Wags where all proceeds benefit the animals at Wayside Waifs). All cats and kittens must leave in an appropriate carrier. These can also be purchased at Whiskers & Wags.
Step 4: Heading Home
Welcome to the Wayside Family! We wish you and your Waif Alum many happy days ahead. If you have medical questions within the next 10 days, please contact Wayside’s Veterinary Clinic here. If you have behavioral concerns, please refer to our Behavior Resources page or reach out to our Behavior Team here. And, if you are so inclined, we LOVE pet updates! Nothing makes us smile more than your stories and photos of you and your new pet sharing your life together. You can email them to us or share on our social media! Thank you for choosing to adopt from Wayside Waifs!
ADOPTION HOURS: Monday: Closed
Tuesday - Friday: 11am - 7pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10am - 5pm
3901 Martha Truman Road, KC, MO 64137